Monday 8 February 2016

Happiness

Monday. 8th February. Durham.

I found solitude where the hours expand
In the stale blood stains of coffee cups.
As when the pendulum
Swings past perpendicular
My increase was exponential.

Then the City
Opened its jaws
In a long, contented sigh,
And I walked in the valleys of its molars,
And I felt the warmth of its tongue.

And you know
That this cathedral
Is false hope.
Its tyrannical spires
Stretching everywhere higher.

On the way back down we passed the graveyard
And talked about death in eager voices.
You know rotting's such a bore
I’ll stain the air with dust.
But what to choose?
A bench?
A tree?
A black smear in the sea?
'Twere now to be most happy.

‘I am happy’ is always a quotation.

The word arose
Before the cold stone
Of St. Mary’s College.
Before I was:
Giddy?
Emotional?
Not particularly sad?
But then:
Happ-eee.
So now that’s done.

But all happy families
Are not alike,
And you are not
That lost Venetian girl.

Today I wanted to ask
If you trust me.
I wonder if you know
I am of those
Too happy in their happiness
That monster their peace
With full-throated ease—
'Twere now to be most happy,

Like a train on a track,
Like a roofless room,
No turning back,
Or halting soon.
'Twere now to be most happy?

When you walk out in the morning with the sun beams on your back

And the dawn says you’re not breaking yet you still detect a crack.

And here's a performance of an earlier version of the poem (with a heavy cold!):

No comments:

Post a Comment