Sunday 11 October 2015

Palm Sunday

Sunday.
The trees swallowed me up
And cogitated me softly,

With the leaves falling down in a vertical march,
Like the weeping of trees, a procession of palms.

They were not gold
But pale and brown,
Though far away
They shone like stones.

So as you were sinless you cast them at me
To bloody my body with loss of belief.
Now nothing remains of the lies that I weaved,

But I don't want to see.

So I shed my skin with muffled cracks
A constant, gentle breaking
And shift this flaking, wasting corpse
In one painful act of waking.

Now turn your eyes away from me
For I don't want to see.
And take your tongue and bury it
My covered ears still bleed.
And take this light away from me
For I don't want to see.

For I don't want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment