Wednesday 3 December 2014

Nicknames

And one word could
Propel me back
Across the years
To foreign lands.
But transitory
Boomerang
I trust myself
To swish right back.

Old embers of
An unreal day
When you would lead
Me up the drive.
The foaming texts
Were fit to burst
A wave about
To break on sand.

But sand will prompt
An hour glass
To mourn the passing
Of old names
We used to spell
In capitals
When we still clung
To unreal gods.

For months I could
Not write your name
Except in ink
Poisoned with hate.
Without realising
What I’d done
I’d forced myself
To love the loss

Of you. You know
My one regret
Was that I could
Not gulp back pride.
Instead I blamed
A demon who
Would wear your name
Pervert your grace.

I don’t deserve
This epithet
I lost it when
I banished you
Like mad King Lear.
You were all that
Turned humble prose
To poetry.

My life will take
A different course
Away from all
We talked about.
The promised end
Will never come
Without you I
Can’t write the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment